Articles & Tips Index
CRRC EMail List
Home > Articles
& Tips Index > Construction
> Silicone Hinge Construction
[Courtesy of Oliver Wilson (ocwilson "at" sunline.net),
Silicone hinges are easy, durable and require a little skill to get them the way you
want them. You have total control over the results.
- Prepare the wing by facing the edges of the wing and control surfaces and apply the
finish to the wing, including the facings.
- Tape the control surfaces in position with a gap of about 1/16 inch. Make sure the tape
is rubbed down so that the RTV rubber can't get under it.
- Make a wooden tool that fits the "V" gap in the hinge area and round the point
so that i trides in the gap about 1/32 inch above the tape.
- Put a generous ammount of RTV in the "V" and use the tool to spread it
uniformly along the hinge. Carefully inspect to make sure there are no voids in the
- Wipe off any excess, particularly at the ends.
- Let the RTV set up thoroughly and remove the tape.
- Check the hinge for completeness and flexibility. If it is too stiff, cut the hinge and
rub off the RTV. Make a new tool that goes a little deeeper in the "V" and try
Soon you will be making hinges just the way you like them!